Are you a beginner in post production photography ? Would you like to learn some important photo editing tips? So here you will discover many useful things which will help you work in Lightroom and Photoshop. These basic photo editing tips will help you understand what you should start with and how to make your photos attractive.
5 basic photo editing tips
It is very important to decide what final result you want to get after editing the picture. Here are five tips you should follow before you start.
Choose the story or the feeling of the image. Creating any kind of the photo you should know what feelings it must show and what story you are going to tell with the photo. It can be bright and energetic or, on the contrary, dark and moody. According to all basic photo editing tips, it is essential for you to make the decision on these features because it will influence the further process.
The style of the photo. Decide beforehand in what style your image must be because it will affect such features as contrast, whites, and blacks, clarity, etc. As it is said in wedding photo editing tips, the couples don’t want to receive simple wedding photographs. They want their pictures to be in a style of wedding or fashion magazine or something like that.
Who and what are the photos for? You must learn where the photo will be printed or used. The purpose of the image will influence your finishing actions like sharpening and cropping, choosing the image size and resolution.
Select the quickest route to perform the photo editing. That’s one of the most useful of photo editing tips because it helps you save time. First, think what changes and what operations you are going to do with the photo to get the ideal result. Then select the most suitable programs, plugins, apps and do everything you need.
Work with the best photos. Mind photo culling. Select only the images which fit all your expectations and then edit them. Don’t take the picture of a smiling girl if you are going to have photos that express sadness.
10 Photo editing tips Photoshop
1. Work with the layers. While retouching the photos in Photoshop, you can easily move and change the layers using special combinations of buttons and keys. It is advisable to merge several layers into one if the image is multi-layer.
2. Whitening teeth. To get naturally white teeth in the portraits or other photos you should change the vibrancy and then use the soft brush for painting the teeth.
3. Color correction. One of the most important photo editing tips Photoshop is concerned about colors. Using Blend Modes for colorful surfaces you can get amazing results. Begin with creating a new layer and then paint the necessary area in the desired tint. Take either “Hue” or “Color” to see the final result.
4. Channel Mixture. To get beautiful black and white images in high contrast you can use Channel Mixture. Select ‘Monochrome’ and then move the sliders to have the greatest contrast.
5. Rotate View. As it is said in the photo editing tips, the Rotate View tool will be useful while you are working with shades, retouching or burning. You can find it in the toolbox and after finishing you should hit “Reset View”. The image will be in the same position.
6. Undo. For beginners, the possibility to undo the steps can be essential. To increase the number of undo actions you must go to the settings and in the box ‘Preferences’ find “Performances” and change the number of steps in the “History States” slider. But be careful, according to photo editing tips for beginners, too many undo steps can make the program work slower.
7. Clicking Alt / Opt + Backspace / Delete you can easily and selecting the layer, you are able to set the color of the layer or make it matching to the foreground.
8. Bird’s Eye View. If you are working with the zoomed image and you need to look at some part of it with zoom out, hold down on the “H” key and drag the mouse. After reviewing the picture you should just let go of the mouse button. This option is called “Bird’s Eye View”.
9. Retro style. Would you like to get photos in retro style? Then in the layer settings hit to fill bright blue, choose “Exclusion” in the layer blend modes. The Opacity should be reduced to 20%.
10. Exporting. And the last of photo editing tip for Photoshop is the option of extracting assets. It can be useful if you want to use different variants of the photo after using multiple layers. Select necessary layers by Shift hitting and after right clicking hit “Export as”.
10 Lightroom photo editing tips
1. Auto tone. For beginners using this option could be the perfect start of work. It helps to fix the exposure, drop the highlights and lift the shadows.
2. Resetting. If you don’t need to reset all the actions you have done, instead of hitting the Reset button, click twice on the definite feature you’d like to undo. All the rest will remain the same.
3. Grid overlays. If you are going to crop the photo, click R on the keyboard and then hit O. While hitting O go on cycling and you will see various grid overlays which can help you different types of composition.
4. Lights out. This trick of Lightroom photo editing tips will help you look at the image on the black background without any distractions. Just hit L on the keyboard and you will have this effect.
5. Level out. To make the horizon straight you should click on ‘Angle’ and then click on the photo and drag to the kind of match the straightness of horizon you wish to get.
6. Before and after. By clicking Y at the bottom left corner you are able to get a side-by-side comparison to see the results of the work.
7. Clipping. Hit J on the keyboard and go to the exposure slider tab and slowly crank it. And while cranking those parts which are clipping will get red. So use these photo editing tips to ensure your photos are not clipping.
8. Radial brush adjustment. To highlight the focus area, hit the oval in the top right part of the window and then choose the exposure. Mark the part of the image you want to stand out and changing the rate of exposure find the suitable variant.
9. Size up. Drag the panel out to the left and you get a way better accurate representation of the shadows, exposure and other sliders of the panel.
10. Rating system. And the final Lightroom photo editing tip is organize yourself. Use figures and letters to rate and mark the images to make your work easier.
Use photo editing freebies
If you have only started working as a photographer but have already spent lots of money on gear, use some image post producing freebies. They will help you improve the photo and save your money. Our photo editing tips are to download free Lightroom presets that make changes in colors and tints, improve clarity and shadows, contrast and other aspects. Different photo editing tips and tricks can be used while working with Photoshop freebies. Take various textures, brushes, and filters, choose free actions and you will make the pictures attractive and unique in a very fast way.
Best photo editing apps for students
There are many apps for students to help with photo editing. Some of them are free, while the others you must pay for. For example, you can use Pixlr to start using basic image editing techniques. It is free but it does not have enough tutorials and guides.
Photo Editor by Aviary is also free. It has basic functions which help edit photos. Among its disadvantages – the lack of undo steps.
Free Adobe Photoshop Express and Adobe Photoshop Mix can be helpful in compositing, blending and layering.
Instagram app can be used both for editing and sharing photos. Instagram photo editing tips are easy for understanding and using.
PicCollage has free and paid functions. It gives you a wonderful opportunity to edit pictures and create collages. If you don’t want to have lots of adverts, take the paid version.
Follow all these photo editing tips, create amazing photos and open an incredible world of photo editing!